NEW: RESOURCE PAGE

Searching for tutorials and software about Deep Learning and Neural Nets? Be sure to look at my Resource Page!
Looking for Octave? Go to my Easy Octave on Mac page!

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Hype Cycle

I've been reading the Microsoft Research survey Deep Learning and Applications by Li Deng and Dong Yu. As we all know, neural nets are a pretty futuristic tech, and the authors work in a company that is intensely commercial and competitive, so they feel the need to discuss Deep Learning's effective applicability. In doing so, they present Gartner's Hype Cycle, which is such a cute concept that I cannot resist copying the images from our friendly Wikipedia. I'll give you a day to think it over, and tomorrow I will  be discussing AI technology specifically in these terms. 

First, here is a cluttered diagram of how the battle-hardened marketing person sees the tech process.



And here now is the Hype Cycle reduced to its basics. Simpler but I think more interesting, in a way.



Edmund.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, let me know what you think of my blog, and what material I should add!